CellR4 2015; 3 (5): e1642
Presented to the AACT 2015 Conference
Recently, we have reported a “Smart Hybrid Materials Equipped with Nanoreservoirs of Therapeutics and stem cells”. This unique nanotechnology strategy is used to entrap, protect, and stabilize therapeutic agents into polymer coatings acting as nanoreservoirs enrobing nanofibers of implantable membranes. Upon contact with cells, therapeutic agents become available through enzymatic degradation of the nanoreservoirs. As cells grow, divide, and infiltrate deeper into the porous membrane, they trigger slow and progressive release of therapeutic agents that, in turn, stimulate further cell proliferation. This constitutes the first instance of a smart living nanostructured hybrid membrane for regenerative medicine. The cell contact-dependent bioerodable nanoreservoirs described here will permit sustained release of drugs, genes, growth factors, etc., opening a general route to the design of sophisticated cell-therapy implants capable of robust and durable regeneration of a broad variety of tissues.
ARTiOS NanoMedicine Start-up Project
- Facca S, Cortez C, Mendoza-Palomares C, Messadeq N, Dierich A, Johnston AP, Mainard D, Voegel JC, Caruso F, Benkirane-Jessel N. Active multilayered capsules for in vivo bone formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2010; 107: 3406-3411.
- Facca S, Lahiri D, Fioretti F, Agarwal A, Benkirane-Jessel N. In vivo osseointegration of nano-designed composite coatings on titanium implants. ACS Nano 2011; 5: 4790-4799.
- Mendoza-Palomares C, Ferrand A, Facca S, Fioretti F, Ladam G, Kuchler-Bopp S, Regnier T, Mainard D, Benkirane-Jessel N. Smart hybrid materials equipped by nanoreservoirs of therapeutics. ACS Nano 2012; 6: 483-490.
- Eap S, Ferrand F, Schiavi J, Keller L, Fioretti F, Ladam G, Benkirane-Jessel N. Collagen implants equipped by “fishscale”-like nanoreservoirs of growth factors for bone regeneration. Nanomedicine 2014; 9: 1253-1261.
- Keller L, Schiavi J, De Isla-Martinez N, Morand D, Mainard D, Schwinté P, Benkirane-Jessel N. Active and nanostructured collagen implant reinforced with human mesenchymal stem cells microtissues for bone regenerative nanomedicine. Nanomedicine 2015; 10: 753-763.
To cite this article
Advanced Medical Device Equipped with Active Nanoreservoirs of Growth Factors and Stem Cells for Regenerative NanoMedicine
CellR4 2015; 3 (5): e1642
Published online: 11 Sep 2015
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.